Thank you, everyone who came out for the midnight release of the Walking Dead‘s 100th issue! Lots of great food from Ulysses American Gastropub, brain cupcakes made by Sarah and tons of Image sale prices were enjoyed by all! Here’s some pictures of what you might have missed.
Thanks to Ulysses for various types of brains and brain flatbreads!
One of our sale displays: TWD, Image, and Kirkman!
The deals you missed!
Much fun and coffee was had!
Image Comics was founded in 1992 as a place for creator-owned comics to flourish and creators to have full rights over their work. The company, now one of the largest comic publishers in North America, currently puts out some of the most interesting, fun, and intellectually stimulating comics in the industry.
Image was originally founded by 8 creators: Erik Larsen, Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, Todd McFarlane, Whilce Portacio, Marc Silvestri, and Jim Valentino. These creators, dissatisfied by the major publishers’ treatment and policies toward writers and artists, broke off from the mainstream to put out the comics that they felt inspired to design and explore. Image’s early titles included McFarlane’s Spawn and Larsen’s Savage Dragon. Later, Robert Kirkman joined the team and co-created one of their flagship titles, The Walking Dead. The little book that could has been hugely successful and adapted for television.
Why should you care about Image Comics? The answer is simple: their titles are solid. With John Layman, Richard Starkings, Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips, Robert Kirkman, Jonathan Hickman, and Brian K Vaughan currently creating monthly titles, ranging from noir, horror, mystery, political commentary, and more, there’s sure to be something that strikes your interest.
This Tuesday evening, July 10 from 7 pm to 1 am, we will be having a midnight release and sale for The Walking Dead’s 100th issue. Hitting this milestone is an achievement for a any title, let alone a creator owned, black and white, mature series. We’d like you to celebrate with us by giving you 25% off Image graphic novels, trade paperbacks, and Image front case books, along with 50% off Image back issues in the back issue bins! What better time to try something new than a sale?
Here’s some of Image’s major titles, along with some shop favorites.
The Walking Dead Nearing it’s 100th issue, The Walking Dead has reached a milestone of success for a comic book. These days, creator owned comics are lucky to reach 20 issues. This Robert Kirkman title follows a group of survivors as they travel through a zombie apocalypse, decapitating the undead and dealing with each other along the way.
Chew from John Layman and Rob Guillory.
Elephantmen from Richard Starkings and Moritat
IKillGiants from Joe Kelly and JM Ken Niimura.
Morning Glories from Nick Spencer and Joe Eisma
PIGS from Nate Cosby, Ben McCool and Breno Temura
The Activity from Nathan Edmondson and Mitch Gerads
Green Wake from Kurtis J. Wiebe and Riley Rossmo
The Manhattan Projects from Jonathan Hickman, Nick Pitarra and Jordie Bellair
Mind The Gap from Jim McCann, Rodin Esquejo, Sonia Oback and Rodin Esquejo
You have two choices:
- Get the BIGGEST single comic of 2012 early by coming to our zombie party on TUESDAY, July 10th.
- Have all the gruesome, gory, gut-wrenching details spoiled for you by the populace at large.
THE WALKING DEAD #100 MIDNIGHT RELEASE PARTY + IMAGE SALE!
Tuesday, July 10th 7p-1a
Here’s what you’ll miss if you don’t come:
25% OFF ALL Image Graphic Novels!
50% OFF ALL Image Back Issues!
25% OFF ALL Image Display Case Books!
**PREPAY for your TWD #100 issues anytime after 7pm and pick them up at your convenience later! (Not before 12:01am)**
ENTER TO WIN!
Each copy of TWD #100 you buy gets you ONE entry in your choice of door prizes!
Come in zombie gear and get ANOTHER entry!
*Advance Orders ARE eligible for all specials!*
- TWD Companion Books: Rise of the Governor, TWD Philosophy, TWD Chronicles (details the comic VS tv show), and TWD Covers
- TWD #100 Poster signed by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard!
How many of you read or have read The Walking Dead, raise your hand. Now take that hand and grab your machete and/or shovel. Because what you thought you could only experience (rather vividly, if I might add) in comic books and television is now a reality. Wait, let me rephrase that. You can now escape zombies in reality. Please don’t kill them because that would bring up a whole slew of legal problems that San Diego just doesn’t need. That’s right, folks, step right up for The Walking Dead Escape this year near San Diego Comic Con.
Petco Park is the stage for a zombie infested obstacle course that will make you “climb, crawl, hide and slide” your way to safety. But surviving isn’t the only way to participate in this 3-day event. If you’re more zombie inclined, buy a “walker” ticket and get made up by the pros to look like a zombie and participate in the course. Then of course, if you’d like to just watch these people run around a zombie infested ball park as if it were the pages of the Walking Dead come to life, buy a spectator ticket and watch from a safe distance.
One of the cool parts of participating, besides the fact that you can tell your friends you survived The Walking Dead, is that each Survivor and Walker will receive a special, exclusive edition of the 100th issue of The Walking Dead.
With as popular as this franchise has become, this is the perfect addition to a San Diego Comic Con must-see/do list. Though not officially affiliated with the SDCC, this event will be taking place July 12-14, 2012. The earlier you buy your tickets, the cheaper they’ll be (for Survivors at least, Walker and Spectator prices have yet to be announced.) If you’re in the area, I’d definitely check it out. Who knows, if it’s a success maybe they’ll put one on at the next New York Comic Con.
- Sunday, July 1st – Tuesday, July 31st TOY DRIVE ALL MONTH! Donate your new and gently used toys to those in need. We will pass these to Nemours Children’s Hospital and local community groups. Thank you!
- Monday, July 2nd 12:01am (Tuesday morning!!) – Amazing Spider-Man Midnight Showing
- Tuesday, July 3rd Amazing Spider-Man Showings for Regular People
- Wednesday, July 4th Independence Day! New Comics Day! Open regular hours all day!
- Saturday, July 7th Inside Sidewalk Sale! Titus is digging out the good stuff he’s been hiding behind all those doors and is putting it all out for you at DEEP DISCOUNTS! 10am-8pm Bring your toy donations!
- Sunday, July 8th Day Two of our Inside Sidewalk Sale! 12pm-5pm Bring your toy donations!
- Tuesday, July 11th Walking Dead #100 Midnight Release Party and IMAGE SALE! 7pm – 1am Be the first to pick up TWD #100 with your choice of cover, get 25% OFF Image Graphic Novels, enter in our Door Prizes! Prepay anytime after 7pm and pick up your book later at your convenience! (Not before 12:01a!)
- Friday, July 13th Magic The Gathering 2013 Release Party! 7pm Sealed Booster Draft!
- Wednesday, July 18th The ThINK Illustration Connelly Sisters will be signing here all day showcasing their unique, handmade comics and prints. Stop by to see the debut of Wheat King!
- Thursday, July 19th 12:01 am (Friday morning!!) Dark Knight Rises Midnight Showing
- Friday, July 20th Dark Knight Rises Showings for Regular People
- Friday, July 20th PaperKeg Podcast will be at Barcade in Philly drinking and entertaining all night!